All Things Green Man & The Traditional Jack-in-the-Green

Archive for Jun 30, 2012

Dore Abbey Green Men (by John Ibbotson)

The Cistercian Dore Abbey was founded in 1147 and largely rebuilt in the 13th century. The abbey was dissolved in 1536 and fell into a state of disrepair. Surviving buildings were restored in 1630 and again in the early 18th century when the wall paintings were created. These include a Queen Ann Coat of Arms, a Momento Mori and a representation of Father Time with an hour glass and scythe. Two small faces (Green Men?) are carved close to the base of the entrance through the 17th century rood screen. A rather more obvious Green Man, previously a roof boss, can now be found amongst a collection of carved stonework.