Jack in the Green 2019 update
I am extremely pleased to be able to report that at least 18 Jacks have been sighted so far this year.
- The Oxford Jack-in-the-Green
- The Fowlers Troop (Deptford) Jack-in-the-Green
- The Hammersmith Jack-in-the-Green
- The Dead Horse Morris (Whitstable) Jack-in-the-Green
- The Bovey Tracey (Grimspound Morris) Jack-in-the-Green
- The Bluebell Hill (Rochester Sweeps) Jack-in-the-Green
- The Bristol Jack-in-the-Green
- The Hastings Traditional Jack-in-the-Green
- The Whitstable Jack-in-the-Green
- The Guildford Bush
- The Evercreech Jack in the Green
- The Ilfracombe Jack-in-the-Green
- The Highworth Jack-in-the-Green
- The Knutsford Jack-in-the-Green
- The Hever Castle Jack-in-the-Green
- The Winchcombe Jack-in-the-Green
- The London Pagan Pride Parade Jack in the Green
- Boss Morris Jack in the Green
I am waiting for confirmation that the Brentham Jack in the Green went out on Saturday 11th May
I am still trying to obtain any photos of The Knutsford, Brentham, Hever Castle and Winchcombe 2019 Jacks. Please do get in touch if you can help.
The Isehara (Japan) Jack in the Green did not go out this year
The Islington Milkmaid’s Garland went out with New Esperance Morris on May 1st
I was honoured to see The Hammersmith Jack, The Evercreech Jack and The Bristol Jack myself this year and plenty of photos are already available in our Flickr Archive.
And still to come are the following Jacks:
Bradford on Avon Green Man Festival – (Saturday 18th May)
This year the Bradford on Avon day of dance is being re-branded as a Green Man Festival and will introduce a 9′ tall giant Green Man accompanied by his Herald, a Bogie and two Squires – Winter and Spring along with one or more drummers. They will start the day at The Castle pub and then wander the town “greening” people. As the highlight of the closing activities they will perform Bradford on Avon’s Jack In The Green mummers’ play to herald in the summer. Morris sides with Hobby Horses will be invited to join in. With that done there will be a massed dance and the day will end with Holt Morris celebrating their 30th anniversary performing their haunting “Signposts” dance around Jack and his entourage.
“Our first event was very popular so please join us for a friendly, local family day of dancing and music, and support our pubs, restaurants, cafes and shops. Wear something green!” More…
Carshalton Straw Jack (September 2019)
A Celebration of Harvest this wonderful event takes place in September each year. The straw Jack is ritually stripped in the evening so that all present can take a keepsake and then he is burnt in a brazier. It is hoped that he will be burnt as a complete figure one year. (if you are an organiser or participant at this event please do get in touch with me) More…